Salary: £18,000 > £20,000 Circa (Dependant upon farm size and location, to be discussed at interview)
The team are currently looking to recruit for a Farm Assist Operative, reporting to the Farm Assist Manager. The job includes everything from setting up houses, chick placement, depletion of birds and carrying out general maintenance on farms.
This role involves travel across the region with the pick up point in the Broxburn area. This is a full time role working every 2nd weekend.
If you have a flexible approach to working, have the ability to prioritise your workload in a busy environment and have experience in poultry or livestock then this may be the role for you. This is a busy and varied role, it is a physical role and will involve some heavy lifting.
We may consider applicants without poultry or livestock experience. Training is provided for this role.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Assist with the placement of chicks
- Collect mortality and cull birds and ensure transferred to dedicated bins
- Assist with the vaccinating and medicating birds
- Monitor the flock during vaccination and report any incident to the Farm Assist Manager
- Assist with the depletion of flocks
- Ensure bird welfare is paramount and report any malpractice immediately
- Set up of houses for arrival of chicks
- Fitting and maintenance of feeders, drinkers, fans and vents
- Carry out basic joinery and maintenance on farms
- Carry out maintenance of grounds, including grass cutting, weed spraying, hedges, trees etc
- Operate equipment such as spreaders, quad bikes, grass cutters etc
- Laying and maintenance of floors
- Remove rubbish and ensure farms are clean and tidy
- Pressure washing and cleaning of houses and equipment
- Ensure Health and Safety Policy is adhered to by referring to the Health and Safety, Risk Assessment and COSHH manuals which are provided by the Company and can be found on all farms
- To be aware of the bio security and welfare measures as laid down by the Company
- To wear protective clothing as appropriate and directed in manuals, or as required by a Senior Manager
- A flexible approach will be necessary as this role may require some early morning starts and late evening work
- Undertake any other duties as required to fulfil the needs of the position
- Undertake any job related training as required
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Organised and detailed approach to duties
- Ability to prioritise duties / tasks with the guidance of the Flock Service Manager
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as on own initiative
- Certificates for operating equipment as required