Assistant Estimator (Building) UK
Reports to Senior Estimator
The successful candidate will be responsible for working as part of the estimating team in the timely preparation of estimates for major construction projects throughout the UK. As a key team member the successful candidate will communicate with a wide range of construction professionals both within the company and externally. This role will require the examination of tender documents and close liaison with our supply chain to procure competitive quotations.
The successful candidate will have a positive and flexible approach that will give the potential to fully develop this role. Our Client will provide detailed support and training to achieve this objective.
Duties and responsibilities
- Co-ordinate with the bid management team to develop a schedule of key dates for individual estimates (enquiries, pricing, adjudication).
- Examine tender documentation for completeness.
- Attend pre-construction site visits.
- Extract bill of quantities from tender package to estimating software.
- Use estimating software to resource bill of quantities in line with enquiry strategy.
- Prepare and send out enquiry documents to providers of materials and sub-contractors for the scope of work.
- Complete accurate take off’s for checking bill of quantities and cost plans.
- Evaluate returned quotations from suppliers / subcontractors and where necessary communicate with suppliers/subcontractors to bring quotations in line with the project specification.
- Complete tender documents for submission in conjunction with Senior Estimator, ensuring that all requested information is submitted.
- Organise the delivery of completed tender documents ensuring that they reach the client by the date and time specified by the tender. Ensure completed tenders are filed and recoverable.
- Strive for continuous improvement within the estimating process and your area of responsibility.
- Abide by all business compliance requirements in line with Company policies.
- Manage subcontract and supplier tender return dates, ensuring they are submitted on time.
- Assist all tender activity including pricing, preparation and submission.
- Maintain subcontractor liaison giving feedback on pricing.
- Prepare Handover documentation on confirmation of winning tenders.
- Update sub contractors details on company database.
- Manage effective communication with subcontractors, suppliers and colleagues.
- Work collaboratively with other departments.
This role will be based at Hertfordshire. Whilst this is an office based role, the successful candidate will be expected to travel from time to time as part of their role to construction sites, Company fixed locations or other locations as requested by Management.
Successful candidate should ideally have Honours Degree in Quantity Surveying/Construction Management or in other related disciplines. Applicants with HND/HNC or strong construction related experience will also be considered for the role.
- Full Drivers License.
- Attention to detail through procuring competitive quotes and be able to read architectural and design team drawings although full training will be provided.
- Good knowledge of building construction, with site experience or with 2 – 3 years’ experience in an estimating role.
- Application of tender procedures.
- Working knowledge of bills of quantities.
- Advanced knowledge in Microsoft Office (Excel, Project, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook) and database software.
- Experience with estimating software beneficial.
Skills & Competencies
- Strong numerical/mathematical and data analysis skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and meticulous planning skills.
- Strong IT Skills.
- Commercial awareness.
- Accurate and consistent approach.
- Good communication skills and the ability to engage with the supply chain.
- Be able to demonstrate initiative whilst working in a team environment.
- Sound technical skills.